Re: Regression in v4.20 with net phy soft reset changes

On 09.01.2019 22:36, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@xxxxxxxxx> [190109 19:28]:
>> On 09.01.2019 20:06, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>>> Commit 6e2d85ec0559 ("net: phy: Stop with excessive soft reset") caused
>>> a regression where suspend resume cycle fails to bring up Ethernet on at
>>> least cpsw on am437x-sk-evm.
>>>
>> What kind of PHY and which PHY driver is used with this board?
>> I found one schematics of am437x where a KSZ9031RN PHY is used.
>> Is it the same on your board?
>
> Yes that's the phy.
>
>> As described in the commit message of this commit you would have
>> the option to implement the soft_reset callback in the PHY driver.
>> Can you try to add .soft_reset = genphy_soft_reset to the
>> KSZ9031 driver config in drivers/net/phy/micrel.c and check whether
>> it fixes the issue?
>
> Yes that seems to work based on a quick test of five suspend
> resume cycles.
>
> I wonder what all hardware this issue affects though?

As one of few vendors Microchip publishes errata documentation
like this one for KSZ9031RNX:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/80000692D.pdf
I wonder whether this is applicable for the PHY in our case and
whether the need for an extra soft reset is caused by one of
the mentioned issues.

> It's probably best that the network folks check what all
> hardare needs patching.
>
> For TI hardware, Sekhar and TI network folks, can you guys
> please check the various TI SoCs for multiple suspend resume
> cycles with v5.0-rc1 and patch accordingly? See also below
> for something else to check, 10 seconds to resume a phy
> seems very long to me :)
>
>>> Keerthy noticed this may not happen on the first resume, but usually
>>> happens after few suspend resume cycles. The most working suspend resume
>>> cycles I've seen with the commit above is three.
>>> Note that unrelated to the commit above, there may be other issues too
>>> as the cpsw phy LED seems to come on only after about five seconds with
>>> about total of 10 seconds before the Ethernet is up again.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

Heiner

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel Discussion]     [TCP Instrumentation]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless Networking]     [Linux WPAN Networking]     [Linux Host AP]     [Linux WPAN Networking]     [Linux Bluetooth Networking]     [Linux ATH6KL Networking]     [Linux Networking Users]     [XDP Newbies]     [Linux Coverity]     [VLAN]     [Git]     [IETF Annouce]     [Linux Assembly]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Information]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux Kernel]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux IDE]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux SCSI]     [Squid]