Re: Kernel thermal configuration issues in laptop

On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 at 15:12, Benjamin Berg <bberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is thermald.service active and running on that machine?

thermald is not (and was never) installed.

I'm pretty sure now it has something to do with some kernel change in
the 5.13.x series. I have a (manual) test case that reproduces the
issue reliably:
- Suspend the laptop and wait a few minutes until it cools down.
- Resume the session.
- Launch a compilation task when the sensors' output shows a
temperature of ~40ºC for the processor.

I tested this for:
- 5.13.{4,5,8} -> fan doesn't speed up quickly enough, the laptop shuts down.
- 5.12.7 -> fan quickly reaches maximum speed, no shutdown.

I see some differences for 5.12.x vs 5.13.x under
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/*, but I'm not sure what I should
look for. Or maybe the misconfiguration could be under
/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device*/*? Other? Any hints would be
appreciated.

Iñaki

> If yes, could you please edit the command line of the systemd unit to
> include --loglevel=debug and grab some logs[1]?
>
> Ideally both of a "bad" and "good" case.
>
> Obviously, we shouldn't be running into a critical temperature
> situation where the laptop simply shuts down. But I am not sure whether
> this is some misconfiguration or if thermald might be reacting too
> slowly for some reason.
>
> A good next step is likely to raise the issue with the thermald
> upstream and include the logs.
>
> Benjamin
>
> [1] You can also stop the service and simply run thermald manually as
> root. Maybe you find that more convenient. i.e. something like:
>   thermald --no-daemon --loglevel=debug --adaptive
>
> On Wed, 2021-08-11 at 12:31 +0200, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is so annoying. Recently, I've been experimenting
> > software-initiated shutdowns in my laptop (LG Gram) due to sudden
> > temperature rises in which the fan doesn't catch up and doesn't reach
> > maximum speed. In the journal, I see:
> >
> >   kernel: thermal thermal_zone0: acpitz: critical temperature reached,
> > shutting down
> >
> > They happen as follows. When the laptop is still cool (e.g., recently
> > powered up), if I launch some compilation task, which is quite CPU
> > demanding, then the temperature rises quickly and I hear that the CPU
> > fan speeds up too slowly, so slowly that the critical temperature is
> > reached and the laptop shuts down. However, if the laptop was already
> > medium-hot due to other tasks, then the CPU fan catches up and reaches
> > maximum speed quickly, so the temperature is controlled.
> >
> > This wasn't happening before, and I'm guessing that maybe some default
> > kernel thermal parameters have changed recently? (This is replicable at
> > least with all the kernels currently installed: 5.13.4, 5.13.5,
> > 5.13.8). I see that the thermal policy is step_wise in some thermal
> > zones, and user_space in others (there are 8). I'll be happy to provide
> > more info if anyone has any clue on how to debug and/or fix this.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Iñaki Úcar
> > Do not reply to spam on the list, report it:
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure

Iñaki Úcar