Re: DNF fastestmirror and deltarpm

Hi,

Matti Pulkkinen wrote:
> A recent article[1] on Fedora Magazine mentions the
> fastestmirror and deltarpm options for DNF. They seem
> quite handy, but are disabled by default. Why is that, and
> are there reasons why I would not want to have them
> enabled?

The deltarpm option is enabled by default.  But there are
issues which prevent it from being very useful unless you
are constantly updating (in which case, you're likely not
someone who wants deltarpm enabled in the first place).

Here's the documentation from dnf.conf(1) for deltarpm:

  deltarpm
    boolean

    When enabled, DNF will save bandwidth by downloading
    much smaller delta RPM files, rebuilding them to RPM
    locally. However, this is quite CPU and I/O intensive.
    Default is True.

It's worth keeping in mind the note that it's CPU and I/O
intensive.  If you have sufficient bandwidth it's often
faster to download the full rpms than to download the delta
rpms and re-assemble the full rpms (when delta rpms are
being properly generated by Fedora, that is).

Regarding fastestmirror, the first thing to determine is
whether or not you benefit from changing the default.  You
can certainly enable each of them and test -- there's always
a strong case to be made for empirical data. :)

Reading the descriptions of each option in dnf.conf(1)
provides some hints about why they are not enabled by
default.

  fastestmirror
    boolean

    If enabled a metric is used to find the fastest
    available mirror. This overrides the order provided by
    the mirrorlist/metalink file itself. This file is
    often dynamically generated by the server to provide
    the best download speeds and enabling fastestmirror
    overrides this. The default is False.

As noted, the list returned by the mirrorlist/metalink may
already provide a better order than the fastestmirror option
will achieve.

--
Todd