Re: Xorg configure unsupported card

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 08:53:56PM -0400, Tim Hawes wrote:
> I have NetBSD 6.1 installed on an ASUS laptop. The video card is an
> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M, and is currently unsupported with xorg's nv
> driver. I would like to get this working with the vesa driver, but have
> come to a dead end with X -configure.
>
> This is the Xorg.o.log: http://pastebin.com/Su60241w[1]
> The output from running X -configure: http://pastebin.com/GLZYeBJq[2]
> And the resulting xorg.conf.new file: http://pastebin.com/bsiMk7k2[3]
>
> Didn't this used to automatically fall back to the vesa driver when
> finding an unsupported card? Just changing nv to vesa in the xorg.conf
> file does not seem to be enough.

X -configure has been more or less broken for a long time. I'm not
sure if that particular issue was fixed in more recent X servers (the
1.10 version that you're using -- and I know that NetBSD has reasons
for that) is 2.5 years old; a lot of things have changed since then.

To manually force the use of the vesa driver just create an new
xorg.conf file with you favourite text editor containing just

-- Cut --
Section "Device"
	Identifier "Forced vesa driver"
	Driver "vesa"
EndSection

If the X server fails to autoconfigure other aspects (like keyboard
mappings) just add back the corresponding sections.

--
Matthieu Herrb