Re: [Xcb] [ANNOUNCE] xcb-util 0.3.9

On Jun 4, 2012, at 6:56 PM, Arnaud Fontaine <arnau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Based  on the  commit  logs, I  was under  the  impression that  these
>> functions were  only meaningful to already-removed  functionality.  If
>> the removal of that functionality  didn't even warrant a version bump,
>> why would removing its support APIs?
>
> This  functionality was  deprecated  but not  removed  yet. This  commit
> removed it completely but as these functions were previously part of the
> public  API, the  SONAME was  bumped, which  IMHO makes  sense to  avoid
> breaking existing program  or libraries using this  feature for whatever
> reason.  Perhaps, there  would have been a smoother way  to do that (any
> advice is greatly appreciated BTW), sorry about that.

Ah, ok.  Thanks, it sounded like it was private API.  That sounds fine, but please try to avoid doing this in the future.  IMO, it's better to keep around deprecated functionality than it is to bump the major version of the library ...

... also, if you do that in the future, please mention it in release notes and bump the package version in a way that is more obvious than just a tiny version =)

Thanks,
Jeremy