Re: xrandr confusion over different options that do the same thing

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25 April 2012 20:24, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If the are locked down kiosks then just configure them how you want
>> them statically and then don't let the user change the configuration.
>> If (B) is the most important then why allow users to mess with the
>> displays at all?
>
> Unfortunately I'm reliant on a "admin" setting it up. I don't know
> from where I'm sitting the way kiosks are setup. I cannot ssh in an
> tweak things and find the connector name (is that the correct
> terminology?)
>
> I'm reliant on a local librarian setting it up if you can understand.
> And the their config is saved with us. Once the machine is configured
> it cannot be modified by the user.

Then perhaps provide instructions to walk them through the process?
Is all the hw the same or does it vary from kiosk to kiosk?  Maybe you
could create a GUI that's only available in configuration mode in
order to aid your local admins?  Or don't allow the local admin to
change the displays and just rely on the the modes that come up by
default?

Alex