Where does colormapping take place?

Hello all,
I have the following problem. I need to be able to adjust gamma, brightness and contrast of a display which has no such controls (its on a framebuffer device using RGB565 Truecolor). This means the adjustment has to be done in software. Setting the gamma in the config file also doesn't work and xrandr is also unable to set gamma values.

So here is my idea: Patch Xorg. Somewhere in Xorg there is a translation from what is drawn on te window to the RGB565 values. The problems is that I really can't find where this translation takes place. I've located several places where the colormaps are defined and tried to alter the values but that has no influence at all. So my question is: where is the translation actually taking place for Truecolor displays?

Nico Coesel