Re: Starting X with VGA on and LVDS off

On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 03:31 +0100, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:29:29 -0500
> Adam Jackson <ajax@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Actually you need to do this _after_ the window manager has started.
>
> The WM is just another client to the X server.
>
> > Otherwise, once the xrandr command completes, the server will
> > regenerate and the output order will be reset.
>
> Sorry, what? Why would you expect this? Changing xrandr settings before
> starting a WM works just fine. The behaviour of the X server must not
> be any different regardless of an WM being active or not.
>
> Here's a video for you, where I do exactly this:
> http://dl.wolfgang-draxinger.net/xrandr_startup.mkv

I see what he means.
The point is that when last X client exits, X undergoes internal reset.
Then he probably runs xrand as such first and last client.
When WM is running, it serves the purpose of an client that always runs,
thus prevents this situation.

Just my .02 cents.

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky