Window Transparency without Compositing Manager

Hello,

I would like to know the programmatic way of achieving window transparency
(alpha) without using compmgr.

I was using transset with xcompmgr but i have to do transset functionality
without xcompmgr.

What about using XShape. But the examples using XShape are only for gl
objects made for tutorial. Insteasd I want to give Window XID to XShape to
achieve window transparency. Any hints.

What about XRender and XComposite to make it work? I dont know what to look
for using these two extensions to achieve alpha transparency.

Thanks in advance.

UBUNTU 8.0.4