Re: what to do to get response?

Rik Bobbaers wrote:
> hmm...
> in my mail there's a list of keys that don't work anymore in xev.
> the kernel is OK, he sees all the keys and registers the events on both
> devices
> it's just xev doesn't seem to map the keys with an event code > 255 (the
> evtest output of both devices is attached in my original post)
> and some keys which used to give a keypressed/keyreleased event, now
> "changed" to a focusout/in/keymapnotifyevent for some strange reason.
>
> so there are basilcy 2 problems:
> 1. what happens to the keys with an event code > 255 (it used to work in
> ubuntu 7.10)
> 2. how is it possible for the <stop> and <rewind> button to suddenly
> change from keypressed/keyreleased events to keymapnotifyevents ? and
> where/how do i make it act as a normal button again?

I can't answer your first question, but to your second: I *think* this
means that an application has grabbed the keys. I see this behavior for
example with my 'volume up/down' keys, some gnome component has grabbed
these keys and when I press those I get an OSD (on screen display)
displaying the volume change. I'm sure that if you run just a bare
xsession, just xterm without anything else (any of the other gnome
components etc) then you'll see that pressing the keys will generate
KeyPress/Release.

tom