Official PDF URLs for X Specs

I can read the source code of the latest head or released version of the
X11 spec at

  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/doc/xorg-docs/tree/specs

but is there any URL that gives me the corresponding formatted PDF
version for easy reference?

What is the simple and always up-to-date URL that I give to people who I
want to point to the "X Window System Protocol" specification?

All I have found are older versions at

  ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/PDF/

and odd *.PS.gz versions at

  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/doc/xorg-docs/tree/hardcopy/XProtocol

but nothing that looks like (nightly) autogenerated PDFs. I think this
would be very useful, and would encourage people to read (and perhaps
even update) these documents more frequently.

Why are there any formatted "hardcopy" *.PS.gz files in git at all?

Are these automatically updated?
If not, who ensures that they are updated?

Why is the archaic PS.gz format used and not the *much* more convenient
and portable PDF? (PDF compresses pages individually, is supported by
many vastly better on-screen viewers with search function, is supported
by widely-used HTTP browser plugins, and comes with a page index for
vastly more efficient HTTP access to individual pages!)

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ || CB3 0FD, Great Britain