Re: Remote X sessions

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Royce.

In the KDE system tray if I click on the applications icon,
and then go to System->Remote Access->Desktop Sharing I can
create a personal invitation for others to share my desktop.
This creates login details such as remote machine IP address
and password.

On the other machine I can login to the first machine with
System->Remote Access->Remote Desktop Connection, using the
system generated details mentioned above.

This initiates the connection to the first machine.

I have actually disabled and shut down xdm in my run-level
editor, and I can still connect to the machine. It may be
that the KDE Remote Desktop VNC server is an integral part
of KDE?

Here is an extract from the help pages:

Chapter 1. Introduction

Desktop Sharing is a server application that allows you to
share your current session with a user on another machine,
who can use a VNC client to view or even control the
desktop.

You would typically use Desktop Sharing with the KDE VNC
client, which is Remote Desktop Connection, since it closely
matches the special features of Desktop Sharing.

Desktop Sharing doesn't require you to start a new X session
- it can share the current session. This makes it very
useful when you want someone to help you perform a task.

Chapter 2. The Remote Frame Buffer protocol

This chapter provides a brief description of the Remote
Frame Buffer protocol used by Desktop Sharing and by other
compatible systems. If you are already familiar with Remote
Frame Buffer, you can safely skip this chapter.

The high level implementation of a system using the Remote
Frame Buffer protocol is known as Virtual Network Computer,
or more often just as VNC.

Remote Frame Buffer (or RFB for short) is a simple protocol
for remote access to graphical user interfaces. It works at
the frame-buffer level, which roughly corresponds to the
rendered screen image, which means that it can be applied to
all windowing systems (including X11, Mac® OS and
Microsoft® Windows®

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions, especially
to Royce for pointing me in the right direction.

I found it quite informative reading up on the X11 window
server.

Regards

Keith Roberts