Re: xfree86-4.6.0 on sparc solaris

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:26:37 -0600 (MDT)
Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you don't really know that.  Your log says (in part) ...
>
> (II) Loading /opt/pkg/xfree86/lib/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.o
>
> ... which should instead read ...
>
> (II) Loading /opt/pkg/xfree86/lib/modules/drivers/sunos/sunffb_drv.o
>
> ... because the sunffb driver must necessarily be OS-specific, as not all
> OS'es agree where to mmap(2) the Creator's various hardware areas.
>
> Verify that the second exists, remove the first, restart the server, and you
> should be in business (even with a hardware cursor).
>
> If I may ask, what caused you to use NetBSD's modified driver?
>
> Marc.

Yeah I noticed the official binary XFree86-4.6.0 distribution had sunffb driver
under 'drivers/sunos', when I copied NetBSD's sunffb source files + Imake file,
I ended up with 'drivers/sunffb_drv.o' file.

In any case, even when running the original XFree86 with
'drivers/sunos/sunffb_drv.o' there was no mouse cursor. I'll try your
suggestion and move 'drivers/sunffb_drv.o' to 'drivers/sunos/sunffb_drv.o', but
I have a feeling this will not do anything.

The reason why I copied NetBSD's sunffb driver is because it has better
acceleration, the whole reason why I'm running XFree86 on Sparc Solaris is
because GTK2 uses libcairo for rendering, which needs Xrender extension for
fast rendering. Sun Xservers don't have this extension, so most GTK2
applications are painfully slow. NetBSD's sunffb driver renders antialiased
text pretty quickly. As you can see I'm not an expert on these things, this is
what I've been told by the Sun and NetBSD developers.