nVidia driver maimed my X server

I just installed an nVidia graphics driver on my Mandrake 10 Linux system and it seems to have wrecked X in the process. The nVidia installation script started an interactive dialog within which I was asked if it could alter X to make the driver work. I said OK. DOH! After returning the run level to 5 and rebooting X will not run. I get the same text based login screen that was presented in run level 3. When I enter X at the command prompt I get a text screen showing the status of X.
Within this it says;

(EE) NVIDIA(0):Failure to construct valid mode list:no modes remaining
(EE) NVIDIA(0):Aborting
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have usable configuration
Fatal server error - no screens found

How can I undo the damage? You may have guessed that I have only enough Linux knowledge to be dangerous. If I install a new version of X maybe that would help. If so which download should I use? Linux-ix86-glibc20,21,22,23 or 24? What is libc5? I am not sure which file/s to download to install a new version of X.

When I typed in X, the following info was also displayed;
XFREE86 V 4.3.0.1
X Protocol version 11 Revision 0 Release 6.6
Build Operating System Linux 2.6.3-3mdkenterprises i686