From: xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Alfred Hovdestad
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:47 AM
To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Just start over

1 is single user mode (lo login, no network).
3 is multi-user mode with network, no X11
5 is multi-user mode with network and X11

1 - Single user mode
3 - Full multiuser mode
5 - X11

When you reboot with runlevel 3, you should get a login prompt in a text
window.  At that point the server is running and on the network.  You
can login on the console, you can login remotely (e.g., ssh), but there
is no windowing interface.

You shouldn't have to remove xfree, you can re-configure X11 without
removing it.  If you really want to remove xfree, it would help to know
which distribution you are running.

     Alfred

Garrett Jochimsen wrote:
> I changed the 5 to a 3 and rebooted, and nothing seemed to happen.  My
> single user mode it says it 1 though, so I tried that too and it just
takes
> me to the prompt of single user mode.  How can I delete all the xfree from
> there?  Thank you for you help.
>
> Garrett Jochimsen
> IT Department
> Documation LLC