Re: X starts when mouse is not connected (AllowMouseOpenFail = false)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Marc Aurele La France wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Lance Duivenbode wrote:
Marc Aurele La France wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Lance Duivenbode wrote:
Marc Aurele La France wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Lance Duivenbode wrote:
I work for uses Linux (a custom version) running the 2.4.24 kernel and we've just upgraded to XFree86 4.5.0. Previously, when X was started without a mouse it would exit back to the shell complaining that it couldn't find the core pointer. However, since we've upgraded to 4.5.0 this behaviour no longer occurs - even with the "AllowMouseOpenFail" server flag explicitly set to "false".

Given the fact that my company remotely manages internet kiosks, we want to be able to detect if a mouse is not connected since this usually indicates faulty hardware. Is it still possible to prevent X from starting if there is no mouse attached or has this option been removed? I would appreciate any help since I've not been able to find anything in the docs or via searching the internet.

This is likely a consequence of auto-configuration. I'll have a look. You wouldn't happen to have a mouse-less log, would you?

Thanks for you reply. I've included a mouse-less log as requested as well as the configuration file.

You say you upgraded to 4.5.0.  From what version?

Sorry about the delay but it took some time to find out (I'm pretty new to the company). It appears we were running version 4.2 before.

OK.  Does it make any difference to add O_EXCL back into
xf86OpenSerial()'s open(2) call on line 143 of xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/shared/posix_tty.c?

Anything more on this?

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |