Re: Need Help

On 6/20/05, Peng lu <lonn_peng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am a Linux beginner and I am trying to update
> XFree86 to version 4.2.0
Is there a specific reason you're trying to upgrade to version 4.2.0?
Looking at the below output shows that it was released on 18 January
2002. More than likely, you have a graphics card from after this date
and so you'll want something newer like 4.4.0 or 4.5.0 (or maybe even
the new Xorg distribution). Trying to use a version of Xfree86 that
was released prior to the release of your graphics card makes it
highly unlikely that you will receive satisfactory results. Please
consider using a newer version.

> Fatal server error:
>
> XFree86 has found a valid card configuration.
> Unfortunately the appropriate data has not been added
> to xf86PciInfo.h.
> Please forward 'scanpci -v' output to XFree86 support
> team.
I'm pretty sure that this means that XFree86 has detected your card,
but does not have enough information about it. So, you'll need to run
"scanpci -v" from a root prompt (it ends in a "pound" sign like this
-> # ) and send along the results. Then the appropriate information
can be added to the distribution so that XFree86 will know about your
card.

However, since this version is so old, it's possible that said
information has already been added to the distribution, and so using a
newer version would provide better results. (Hint: Try a newer
version! ;-) )

Hope this helps.

-Andy