Re: X and multiple full-screen applications: Is it possible?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Pieter Hulshoff wrote:

> On Sunday 17 October 2004 21:21, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> >    Normally, what the window manager does is look for windows that
> > are created as immediate children of the root window.  Then they
> > reparent that window to one of their own virtual root windows.
> > Full screen apps request a full size child of the root (and on
> > top of the stack) and prevent the window manager from reparenting
> > by setting the override redirect flag which prevents the window
> > manager from getting notification about this window.
>
> Understandable. For example 2 however I'm not using a window manager. What I'd
> like is to be able to have a full-screen MAME front-end, and call a
> full-screen xmame application from there, which should just position itself
> over the front-end. Is there any way to do this without first destroying the
> front-end display?

   That would be the default behavior.  A full screen window is nothing
more than a child of the root window that's the size of the root window
and moved to the top of the stack.  The most recent window to have been
XRaiseWindow'd will be the one that's visible.

			Mark.

			Mark.