Re: Free software video drivers

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Karl Naylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems like the sort of question that would have been asked a
> thousand times already, but I can't find it, so here goes:
>
> Does anyone know what 3d video cards are fully supported in free
> software?  ie. all features supported, with the driver either supplied
> by the manufacturer or based on a full specification published by the
> manufacturer?  I can't seem to find information on this anywhere,
> except that I've found a few official drivers that are definitely
> non-free!

   To my knowledge no vendors provide complete specifications for
the 3D functionality of their hardware, at least not for recent
cards.  Maybe you could get specs for older hardware from the
days before there were programmable shaders and vertex engines
(DX7 era), but as soon as graphic engines started becoming
programmable, vendors became tight-lipped.

			Mark.