Catastrophic Upgrade

Praying someone can help on this:

I was trying to upgrade Ethereal and descended into a downward spiral
that had me upgrading a bunch of things the new version depended on
including Pango.  On the config, Pango complained that it couldn't
find X11 or Freetype and so, at the suggestion of some install advice
on GTK+ web site (GTK+ required by Ethereal), I installed fontconfig
and Freetype.

Well, my Xfree86 config went poof and all I could get was the console.
 The ensuing complain contained the text "No fonts found; this
probably means that the fontconfig library is not correctly
configured."  So, I searched hi and lo and saw suggestions like
running fc-cache -v and tried everything I could find until I finally
gave up and figured maybe if I just reinstall xfree86, I'll be ok.

So, I did that.  I downloaded everything, ran the install
script....and still no worky.  Though I'm not sure if it is relevant,
midway through the installation, the script did issue the following
complaint: "/root/downloads/xfree86/extract: lib/X11/xkb: Could not
create symlink to '../../../etc/X11/xkb': File exists"   But, after
searching the web, I couldn't figure out what to do about it.   As far
as clues, I've attached the config and log files.

Right now, the system is toast.  I need to get back to the GUI so any
help that anybody can provided would be greatly appreciated.   Please