Re: Reserving memory for XVideo?

Hi,
On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:51:36PM +0900, Andrew Church wrote:
>      Is there any way to set aside a certain amount of memory for XVideo,
> or otherwise avoid running out of video memory for overlays?  Since
> upgrading from XFree86 4.3.0 to 4.4.0, applications using XVideo, e.g.
> mplayer, stop working after using X for a short period of time (sometimes
> a few hours, sometimes instantly), reporting a BadAlloc error from XVideo.
> This problem did not occur at all under 4.3.0.  Any help would be
> appreciated; system information is below.

Though not in the same context of mplayer usage, I get XVideo 'BadAlloc'
errors even for small image sizes if I forget to set IPv6 site-local
address to the 'eth0' port of the bridge 'br0' that I'm running. The
networking scripts set the address on br0 and I've yet to patch it to
set it for the ports hanging off it. So I would say check IPv6 setup.

The loading delay ( mentioned in a previous post ) was directly
traced to DNS queries and got eliminated by setting up IPv6 DNS.
But the XVideo apps don't make any queries ( checked in logs ).
Anyway, why should XVideo / DRI / Acceleration interfere and give
a BadAlloc error as mentioned?

I'm using a ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF (AGP) card and once the
eth0 IPv6 address is set, everything's fine - so far.

Another thing, with 4.4.0 ( actually 4.4.99.2 ), XVideo needs
that I set AGPAperature to 32 ( equals V-Ram on card and
BIOS setting ) AND the AGPMode to 4. This wasn't so in 4.3.99.3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here too.

Cheers,
-arvind