Compilation and Installation on x86-64 ...

Hello,

I have an Athlon 64 computer. I was really happy to discover that XFree
is dealing with such architecture. However, in my case I would like to
have both 64 bits libraries as well as 32 bits ones (such as on SGI
architecture where libraries are compiled three times : old 32 bits, new
32 bits and 64 bits).

However, I haven't been able to directly compile 32 bits with my X86-64
compiler (that can also generate 32 bits binaries). For my current
installation, I had to get the binaries for 32 bits, install them in the
/usr/X11R6 directory, remove every files other than librairies
(directories man, share, bin, ...) and then  compiling XFree on the 64
bits architecture and install it in the same directory.
Then, I discovered that by default, the 64 bits binaries are going to
search for modules (drivers, extensions, ...) in the
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory. So I also had to remove this
directory. Then, the binaries has gone to search for modules in the
/usr/X11R6/lib64/modules directory.

So i would like to know if it is possible to compile XFree 86 twice :
one for 32 bits libraries (by adding the "-m32" flag to compilation
command) and on for 64 bits librairies. Then, I want all binaries to be
compile in 64 bits, but they must looking for modules inside the
/usr/X11R6/lib64/modules ...

I think that my problem will be the same for a lot of people that have
such architecture, as many commercial softwares are working in 32 bits
but are not planning to build their softwares for 64 bits architecture.
So we will have to have both 32 bits and 64 binaries ...

For information, my configuration :
- Linux : kernel 2.6.4
- glibc : 2.3.2
- XFree : 4.4.0