Re: X Windows Cannot Be Opened

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 05:28, Edwin Lee wrote:
> Following the answer from Ron below, can anyone tell me how to disable GDM
> in Redhat 9.0?

In a terminal window
1. run the "su" command, to become root.
2. run the command "killall gdm"
3. There should be some RH command to allow you to enable/disable
   individual services from starting at boot time.  You'll need
   to run it to disable gdm from starting at boot time.
4. Exit X normally.
5. To restart X, run "startx".

> >>From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx>
> >>To: XFree ML <xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>Subject: Re:  X Windows Cannot Be Opened
> >>Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:08:33 -0600

> >>hardware

> >>try
> >>display

> >>their

> >>Display

> >>right,

> >>What if you kill and disable gdm, so that you log into the console.
> >>
> >>Then start X by running the command "startx".  It may show you an
> >>error message, and will also let you look at the log file
> >>/var/log/XFree86.0.log.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx
> >>Jefferson, LA USA

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx
Jefferson, LA USA

"Why should we not accept all in favor of woman suffrage to our
platform and association even though they be rabid pro-slavery
Democrats."
Susan B. Anthony, _History_of_Woman_Suffrage_
http://www.ifeminists.com/introduction/essays/introduction.html