Mouse setup in XF86Config

Hi, I'm writing in response to this passage:

from
http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse4.html

==
If the "Auto" protocol is specified and the mouse seems working, but you find
that not all features of the mouse is available, that is because the X server
does not have native support for that model of mouse and is using a
``compatible'' protocol according to PnP information.

If you suspect this is the case with your mouse, please send a report to
XFree86@xxxxxxxxxxx .
==

I'm trying to use a USB mouse, and have my XF86Config set up like so:

    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"

But my scroll wheel does not work (ZAxisMapping didn't add this
functionality).
I'm running Gentoo Linux, and it seems like there's a question mark to answer
the question of "are USB mice supported under my OS"
http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse3.html
for all but some *BSDs.

Any tips or documentation available on how to get USB mice working fully? It
seems like something a lot of people would use.

Thanks,

-Paul Schultz