Re: Optimizing performance?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Kendl Tibor wrote:

> Dear list members. XFree86 team!
>
> I've downloadaed the current XFree86 source tarball and wanted to build
> the x binaries, and i have two questions about it.
>
> Q1: Does it makes any sense to compile the x source by myself, despite
> of downloading a pre-compliled binary package?

   By playing with compile options you can probably get improvements
you can measure in benchmarks like x11perf, but it's unlikely you
will get noticeable real-world improvements.  It's up to you whether
you want to go through the trouble.

> Q2: Hw can i make the build process to compile AMD Athlon optimized binares?

   Standard process for modifying the XFree86 build is to copy the
xc/config/cf/xf86site.def over to xc/config/cf/host.def and edit the
host.def.  To change the compile optimizations you can uncomment and
edit the DefaultGcc2i386Opt line.

			Mark.