Re: glxgears and cpu utilization funny...

Rahul Sawarkar wrote:
Hi
I'm not clear.

From: Ian Romanick

When the card has to draw less pixels, a **larger** percentage of the time is spent sending commands from the CPU to the card.

When the window is tiny, the card is drawing fewer pixels, but the CPU has to send the **same** number of commands per
frame.

So are you saying
Same number of commnds per frame +  More pixels gives <= cpu
utilization, as compared to Same number of commands per frame + less
pixels  ? Here my cpu utilization is a dramatic 80% when glxgears is a
3x3 inch window and 4% when glx gears is maximized full-screen at
1280x1024 res. Also when I hide the 3x3" glxgears window behind say my
browser window i.e bring another app window to front, and glxgears is no
longer visible, cpu utilization remains at 80% or more.

Could you please clarify ? I think you haven't explained everything
thats on your mind or know.
I think my graphics card GPU is kicking in when I maximize but inactive
when minimized, something to do with the way X works.
its a hunch ...

Thanks for you effort.

Please cc to: torahuls@xxxxxxxx as I'm not subscribed.

Rgrds

You'll also see this effect with video playback that uses xv for hardware bes. The codepath must be significantly longer for windows than for fullscreen, since it's easier to do less pixel pushing than more, the implimentation must be much simpler for fullscreen in both extensions.

Hello
I've got a intel440bx with a Radeon7500 rv200 chip , running x4.3, on kernel 2.6. System is built from source entirely.
One strange thing I noticed is that when I run glxgears in a small window say 2x2 inch, cpu utilization jumps above 70%.
But when I maximise the window, cpu utilization drops to 1-2%. I can see this clearly in gkrellm.
I thought it should be the reverse.
what gives??

I'm running the Radeon in agp2x mode.

Rgrds