Re: License furor

At 09:16 PM 5/24/2004 -0500, you wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 07:52:59PM -0500, Dr. Rich Murphey wrote:
> [...]

To try not to be too redundant, I will, again, refer you to my
postings to this list in the later part of April which also provides a
scenario.  I hope I made my concerns clear.

> It's ludicrous to worry about legal threats from XFree86. Vendors are
> caught violating the GPL on a regular basis and face few legal threats other
> than perhaps a cease and desist. They might eventually abide by a cease
> and desist if someone is willing to spend enough money and effort to
> inconvenience them enough to make it worthwhile, but they never face any
> financial demands let alone pay damages.

Never?  Come on! Are you even aware of the Caldera/SCO legal attack on
Linux vendors?  Caldera is a Linux distributer who we all thought
supported the open source movement.  Once they acquired SCO and
thought they had a legal weapon, they sued IBM for $3 billion dollars!
Then they turn around and sue Auto Zone, and DaimlerChrysler and are
threatening everybody who distributes Linux.  If the new XFree86
license infiltrated the whole industry and everybody ignored it, can
you imagine what would happen if a dirty competitor was able to
acquire The XFree86 Project, Inc. and most vendors were not in
compliance with the license?

Not only that, you way under estimate the gravity of a cease and
desist order in a case like this.  X is a major component of all open
operating systems and major commercial Unix's as well.  It is not like
having to stop distribution of some small application.  If a company
such as Microsoft acquired such a critical component, they could
devastate the Unix and open source world.  It could potentially run
the Linux and BSD vendors completely out of business.

So you are saying to just ignore the license change and don't worry
about legal threats?  That is what is ludicrous!  If there is no
intention of ever enforcing this new license, then why change it in
the first place?  X has been extremely successful for a very long
time under the original license.  From what I have seen, most of the
open source distributors agree with me.

> Hell, XFree86 doesn't ask them to release their proprietary code. It just > asks for acknowledgement *if and only if* they were going to acknowledge > others.

Wrong.  The FreeBSD and similar licenses ask for acknowledgement.  The
new XFree86-1.1 licenses asks for acknowledgement in the "same place
and form" as other acknowledgements.  I don't think vendors can
guarantee compliance to this for all applications they distribute.

> Do you think any vendor is worried about having to actually release their > proprietary code after violating the GPL?

So what are you saying?  That vendors should feel free to violate the
licenses and not worry about it because the guys writing the free
software wont have the money to enforce it?   If they are including GPL
code in proprietory products in violation of the license, I think they
darned well should be worried about it.

vincent you're arguing both sides of the fence on this one. one for pdl (public domain, no
licenses, no rules, just put it out and let anyone do what they want) and on the other that
open source can only be gpl otherwise it's proprietary code.

hello! this is sheer insanity. where'd you come up with this medieval view of the world?

>Yes I do.  Just about every major Linux vendor has rejected it except
>or a few of the more obscure ones.  Even Debian Linux, which is one
>of the least commercialized ones publically rejected it.  What makes
>you think they are not "worked" about it?  It seems to me they have
>made it very clear that they are.

i think calling debian the least commercialized linux vendor ridiculous. ever see who are
their backers? i went and looked after you said this, and i see sun, ibm, hp. it's the same guys who head up x.org.
i think you need sleep man, i hear that a paucity of it can kill your thinking. so follow my maxim:

early to bed early to rise
fish all day  makeup lies.

you'll thank me in the morning.

mark.