Re: Mission statement and 1.1 license issues

John Bradford wrote:
[...]
> Are you saying that you don't believe that the 1.1 license is
> incompatible with the GPL?

I say that XFree86 1.1 license is fully compatible with the GNU
GPL. A compilation is NOT a derivative work. The distinction
is quite obvious. Your car is NOT a derivative work of its gas
pedal. Talk to ask your lawyer about "first sale" and "copyright
misuse" doctines.

regards,
alexander.

P.S.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/05/01/1052216&mode=nocomment

<quote>

RMS: We have no say in what is considered a derivative work. That
is a matter of copyright law, decided by courts. When copyright
law holds that a certain thing is not a derivative of our work,
then our license for that work does not apply to it. Whatever our
licenses say, they are operative only for works that are
derivative of our code.

</quote>