Re: License issues

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:36:09AM -0500, mark kandianis wrote:
> At 09:38 PM 3/9/2004 +0100, you wrote:

> >> I think you need to read what is written, rather than overreacting
> >> to everything.
> >
> >Maybe i am overreacting, but i think that the claims that everything is
> >fine, and has ever been such is still a lie. The licence change is not a
> >good move, and it will only cause problems in the long run. Still it is
> >your right to do so, but trying to deny that the practice did actually
> >change is just cowardly hiding from your responsabilities in this issue.
> >
> >You well know that i have always been on your side on this and past
> >issues, so, please let's at least be honest among ourselves.
> >
> >> The licensing *policy* has not changed.  XFree86 has exercised the
> >> same freedom of licensing choice that it has been offering its
> >> contributors for some time.  This is no secret, since there have
> >> been MIT/X11 and GPL-incompatible licences published in our
> >> LICENCE/COPYRIGHT docs for many years.  If people don't actually
> >> go and read those details, then what does that say about the
> >> importance they give to the licences?
> >
> >Well, but there is a difference. Those problematic files are rather
> >minor, and a solution can be found.
>

> big big change.  how cum?  why do you say that?  based on what
> o troll master?

Based on the licence audit Branden did. I don't remember all of it, and
GLX is indeed problematic, but many of the other problems where 4-clause
BSD licences dating from a long time, and which Berkley has since then
asked everyone to change to the 3-clause licence, or code that was not
really used anymore (like the font compress related stuff).

But the link has been posted here i think, look for yourself.

Friendly,

Sven Luther