Re: License issues

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

> Marc Aurele La France wrote:

> > > You keep ignoring one important objection to the licence change.

> > > A lot of the XFree86 code has been contributed under the XFree86
> > > licence by people who were acting under the assumption that their code
> > > would remain under the old licence.

> > > The licencing change has apparently been decided single handedly by
> > > you, without consulting most contributors (for my part, I learnt about
> > > the change from the press).

> > > I believe this to be a case of mis-governance.  Until this question is
> > > settled, it will be difficult for many contributors (including myself)
> > > to trust the XFree86 governing body (i.e. you).

> > That you contributed code that would end up under XFree86's license, and
> > that you are objecting now, simply means that, at the time, you did not
> > wish to be specifically recognised for your contributions.  So, simply
> > submit a change that is more in line with your current intent.

> I'm somehow certain that Juliusz Chroboczek objects not because he
> does not wish "to be specifically recognized" for his contributions.
> You keep pretending that the license change does not have any side
> effects and is just a matter of "wish" for XFree86 contributors and
> means nothing for everybody else.

It only means something to those that have a vested interest in making it
an issue, which has no relevence, either way, to the validity of said
issue.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |