Re: License issues

Citando Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> DD> The licensing *policy* has not changed.  XFree86 has exercised the
> DD> same freedom of licensing choice that it has been offering its
> DD> contributors for some time.
>
> David,
>
> You keep ignoring one important objection to the licence change.
>
> A lot of the XFree86 code has been contributed under the XFree86
> licence by people who were acting under the assumption that their code
> would remain under the old licence.

  I have read the 1.1 license several times as well as the emails in
the forum mailing list. Maybe it is my misunderstanding of the english
language; but I really don't see any problems with the 1.1 license. What
I understand is that "if" I acknowledge some other software/package/etc
I must also acknowledge XFree86.
  Maybe the license clause 2 could be changed to remove/rework the "must"
word, but end with the same meaning.

> The licencing change has apparently been decided single handedly by
> you, without consulting most contributors (for my part, I learnt about
> the change from the press).
>
> I believe this to be a case of mis-governance.  Until this question is
> settled, it will be difficult for many contributors (including myself)
> to trust the XFree86 governing body (i.e. you).
>
>                                         Juliusz

  Well, I support the new license and I believe that David is doing a great
job at XFree86. People that are used to GPL/Linux will always have some
problem with whatever is not GNU/GPL. I think this is stupid, but it is
the human being...

Paulo