Re: XFree86 4.4.0 RC3

Since we have been invited to express our opinion, I believe that the new XFree86 license does more harm then good. The goal of achieving equitable attribution is laudable, but this license is too blunt of an instrument to achieve it.

There has been a fair amount of emotion expressed over this issue and some of it could rightly be called FUD. The specter of GPL incompatibility has substantially muddied the waters due to long help political differences. However, there are legitimate problems with the new restrictions this license places on binary distributions.