Re: Re: Announcement: Modification to the base XFree86(TM) license.

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:25:19PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> David Dawes wrote:
> >If you or your employer distributes code from XFree86 and its
> >contributors, then why would you have a problem acknowledging this
> >assuming that you already make other third-party acknowledgements?
>
> With all due respect, this is an invalid assumption.
>
> Further, tracking acknowledgements for each open source project that
> wishes it costs real money.  Bits and bytes to you are printing and
> staff-resource costs to someone else.

Well, I think that XFree86 is not just any open source project, it is,
like the linux kernel and the GNU toolchains, one of the fundation
pieces. So, as the FSF claims we should call it GNU/Linux, maybe we
should also insist on calling it XFree86/GNU/Linux ? Or XGL maybe ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther