Re: experimental proposal

Marc Aurele La France wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

SL> Consider the OpenGL model, where loads of extension exists, and from
SL> time to time the ARB does pull in some of the extensions to become a
SL> standard part of the OpenGL spec, and bump the OpenGL minor version.

Why is this better than defining a profile ? (A set of extensions.)

SL> David doesn't seem keen on letting this be the X.Org people.

And he's right about that, at any rate.

...because strife and division are always good ideas?

I think it's more correct to say that market forces are perennially more
efficient at producing standards than committees.

Good response :) I do agree with that, and IETF certainly does too :)

But I am still hoping for some amount of common ground occurring, otherwise we'll have duelling X protocol revs :)

Jeff