Re: Discussing issues

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:02:44PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:25:34PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
>> There seems to be a misunderstanding:
>> Havoc, you are talking about a project that deals a future
>> 'base GUI platform for X11/UNIX' with library components
>> GUI projects want to rely on. While Mark is referring to
>> the realms that have traditionally been the focus of XFree86.
>
>I'm not _only_ talking about libraries, there are also server-side
>elements.
>
>But can you explain "traditional focus of XFree86"?  Does XFree86 not
>want to work on the protocol/library/extension/API layers?  What about
>dix/mi and the non-driver portions of the server?

Rather than us trying to guess what you mean by "platform", it
might help if you provided us with a more detailed description of
what you have in mind.

I suspect that it is differently focused than what XFree86 has
usually considered its domain, but I can only guess unless you
explain what you mean in more detail.

XFree86's domain has traditionally been the X infrastructure, which
does include all of what you mention above, and implemented on a
wide range of platforms.  I'm trying to understand what else you'd
like to push down into "X", what parts you'd like to eliminate,
and how that fits in with the needs of all XFree86 users (not just
those using it on the popular platform of the day).

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project