Re: Discussing issues

David Dawes (dawes@XFree86.Org):

> I don't understand why this is even an issue.  Right now, Jane Doe can
> collect all of the pieces she's interested in and create an XJane
> release whenever she wants.  Whoever needs a "release" can create one
> that suits their needs, and on a schedule that suits them.  Don't the
> Linux vendors effectively do this already?  Isn't that an important
> part of the value they add to the free stuff they sell?

  I thought that was the support nightmare we were trying to dig
ourselves out of.  I do not believe that users expect distributions to
modify source code for their release, only configurations.  Furthermore,
every non-standard change made by a distribution is another barrier to
entry for developers using that distribution, in my opinion.

  I could be wrong in these assumptions, I haven't run any surveys.

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@dumbterm.net