Re: Discussing issues

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:46:03PM +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> And the separate CVS tree for development of certain features is still
> a viable option for this work and become a friendly fork such as the
> DRI.

I agree a separate CVS tree could be viable, at least when there are
well-defined modules.

> Keith already has his own CVS and can manage that as he sees fit and
> submit work back for inclusion in the mainline tree. That way Keith
> and the various people interested in them extensions get to focus on those
> type of features.

The issue though is that simply separating CVS doesn't address the
issue of how decisions are made; Keith submits his work back for
inclusion, or other people do, but who then makes the call on whether
to include it. What is the process for deciding these matters.  Who
determines the release schedule? Who decides what code is in a
release?

I'm not saying the wrong person will, or the wrong call will be made,
or anything like that. I'm not even sure what you would propose for an
answer to that question so I'm not criticizing your answer.

It just seems to me that where the code lives is not what people are
(primarily) arguing about.

> It should work exactly as Alan Cox mentioned regarding the 'sparc port'
> for linux. Why can't it work in this case too ?. I don't see any reason
> why it couldn't.

I think it could, provided people are comfortable with how decisions
are made on the stuff they submit.

When it comes right down to it, there are decisions to make that must
be shared decisions. Schedules, module organization, general project
goals. "Agree to disagree" works up to a point (and is in fact *good*
when it works, because it's more modular/scalable), but it breaks when
you need to make a shared decision.

Havoc