Re: [forum] cooperation with ISO

As far as I know, all the national and international standards bodies
(e.g. Ansi, ISO, etc), do variations of voting schemes for adopting standards
based on membership at a national and/or international level (e.g. to
get an ISO standard, Gabon's vote is equal to Germany's or the US).  And
usually, ISO is more blessing standards  developed in other venues than
generating new ones).

There is therefore extensive politicing involved in adoption of ISO
standards, and no easy way for individuals to be involved, and any standards
need development and probably some previous approval before they get there.
It has been really more than 3 years since I was last involved with people
who were participating in the ISO process, so this is somewhat stale memory.

The X consortium was company membership based voting of adotption, and
had no provision for outside individual contributions.  It is somewhat
less painful with the Web consortium  for two reasons (which has a membership
agreement similar to the old X Consortium; it was patterned very much
after it).

In the Web consortium case there are so many member organization
that you can usually dream up affiliation with one of them, and W3C has
an "invited expert" exception to allow participation of individuals in
their process; this was not true for the X Consortium).  It's been quite
a while since I read the X.org contracts, but my memory is that they were
very similar to the X Consortium; member company based voting, with little
or no provision for contribution by non-affilliated individuals.

Keith Packard can tell you the previous sad tale of attempted ANSI
standardization of X.  The rules of that organization and the other standards
organizations have evolved since that date, of course, but it isn't
encouraging.

So the issue before the community is
	o how we develop "standards" in the first place
	o how/who can participate, on what grounds
	o the process for adoption by the community
	o the venue for this formal standardization, in circumstances
	when it is deemed good and necessry by the community.

Understand, I believe there are many circumstances where formal
standardization processes are necessary or very worthwhile (heck, I'm
the editor of the IETF HTTP/1.1 spec, and would not have spent some years
of my life on that task if I hadn't believed it worthwhile), but I'm also
leery of standardization before its time (something the IETF processes
try very hard to avoid, while ensuring individual contributions are
possible).

Some of the processes the IETF uses are, at least right now, may or may
not be infeasible to us: requirements to progress beyond proposed standard
require interoperable implementations of the specification where the
implementations are pretty independently developed, so even they routinely
standardized API's, this requirement would be difficult to meet.

				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory