Re: [forum] cooperation with ISO

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:54:25AM +0100, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2003 00:32 schrieb Keld Jørn Simonsen:
>
> Hi Keld,
>
> > may be a idea for ISO standardization. Maybe it is not. But then I would
> > like to tell people at the meeting why. I understand that a number of
> > people here on the list, including prominent persons, do not fancy to do
> > work on X in ISO. Maybe they are right. But maybe they have not seen
> > the different possibilities there are for the cooperation with ISO,
> > or they have not experienced how ISO work on libraries and operating
> > systems, like what is done in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 on C, C++, Ada, POSIX,
> > internationalization etc (http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22).
>
> Please tell me what about the freedoms associated with an ISO standard?
>
> Accoring to my very old mail archive Linus wrote:

> "As to POSIX, I'd be delighted to have it, but posix wants money for
>   their papers, so that's not currently an option."

Yes, that was then. The new POSIX standard is available
free of charge now on the internet.
http://www.unix-systems.org/version3/

You need to give your email and such, but you do not have to pay
anything.

ISO has changed a little since then. Yes, most standards are still
something that you need to pay for, but a number of ISO standards are freely
available on the net. See the link on http://www.jtc1.org/ or just
http://isotc.iso.ch/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2489/Ittf_Home/PubliclyAvailableStandards.htm

The rules as I remember them are:
1. a Technical Report
2. a standard that has previously been freely available

And JTC 1 has to approve it - but they normally do.

It is claims like the above that I think are prevalent in our circles,
but they are nevertheless false. ISO has changed in recent years, and
JTC 1 (which caters for all Information Technology standards) are now
using the Internet for all its work. All documents are online, some
with restricted access, but most freely available. Almost all
working group documents are online, freely available. I am hosting
a number of the ISO groups relevant for X - see
http://std.dkuug.dk/dkuug/std-www

> I really think that putting the X standard in the hands of ISO which then
> denies people to freely share the standard is not a goal.

As I said, this is not always true. We could negotiate the terms of
publication with ISO and the terms could be that the standard be freely
available. And argue that according to their rules that the spec till now
has been freely available. I would consider that a reasonable condition from the X.org
to do something like that. I also think, if we want to pursue other
standardization organizations like IEEE that we would make the same
condition.

best regards
keld