Re: [forum] cooperation with ISO

Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2003 00:32 schrieb Keld Jørn Simonsen:

Hi Keld,

> may be a idea for ISO standardization. Maybe it is not. But then I would
> like to tell people at the meeting why. I understand that a number of
> people here on the list, including prominent persons, do not fancy to do
> work on X in ISO. Maybe they are right. But maybe they have not seen
> the different possibilities there are for the cooperation with ISO,
> or they have not experienced how ISO work on libraries and operating
> systems, like what is done in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 on C, C++, Ada, POSIX,
> internationalization etc (http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22).

Please tell me what about the freedoms associated with an ISO standard?

Accoring to my very old mail archive Linus wrote:

"As to POSIX, I'd be delighted to have it, but posix wants money for
  their papers, so that's not currently an option."

I really think that putting the X standard in the hands of ISO which then
denies people to freely share the standard is not a goal.

Yours,
-- martin
P.S.: Alan: Do you know if Linus got access to the real POSIX documents in the
meantime?

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de