Re: [forum] How about running X on top of something else?

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:21:58AM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:
> > > Bah.  We don't relocate resources unless we need to.  So that ball's as
> > > much in your court as it is in ours.
> >
> > Any X reassignment of PCI resources is unsafe in Linux 2.4, and going to
> > get more so. The DGA comemnt applies here the other way around - you don't
> > currently have a way to get the kernel to do the work for you. We need to
> > address that. X doesn't know enough hw issues or locking
>
> That's the point where KGI comes into the place. Most of you, I guess,
> remember
> on the heating discussion on the linux kernel ml in 1997/1998.
>
> In the meantime, it has been redesigned and rewritten from scratch. So, all
> what you (still) believe to know about KGI is very likely out of date.
>
> KGI is splitted in two parts. The kernel driver knows all stuff to access

I still don't understand why you simply did not use the fbdev framework
for this ? This is i believe one of the reasons GGI failed, because it
tried to redesign everything, without taking into account any of the
stuff that pre-existed at that time.

> hardware and to map the graphic resources (i.e. accelerator) safely to the
> userspace - BTW: ioctls are only used for setting up video modes and other
> initialisation stuff and nothing else.

How is that different from fbdevs ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

[Index of Archives]     [X.Org]     [XFree86]     [XFree86 Discussion]     [XFree86 Newbie]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Questions]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [ARM Linux Kernel]     [Samba]     [Linux RAID]