Re: [forum] XFree86 5.0 TODO

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 03:58:16PM +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Sven Luther writes:
>  > On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 10:50:22PM +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
>  > > Sven Luther writes:
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > No, the model I have in mind is not window driven. The driver only
>  > >  > > gets the information to zoom a part of the screen. It doesn't care
>  > >  > > what is displayed there. Your application has the notion of a window.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > What application are you speaking of here ? The window manager ? The
>  > >  > specific app that own the window ? The configurator app ? A special
>  > >  > zooming app ?
>  > >
>  > > Your zooming application.
>  >
>  > Ok, ...
>  >
>  > Would it be possible for the zooming app to get feedback from the
>  > windows manager when the window get moved, or maybe from the X server
>  > directly ?
>  >

> Not from the window manager. It would have to get an event from the
> Xserver.

A, ok ...

>  > > Yes. But the application could soom the window differently
>  > > or whatever. The problem you would have generally is that
>  > > you don't want to distort the aspekt ratio, therefore on
>  > > a window not having the same aspect ration as you second
>  > > head you'd have to display areas outside of the window, too.
>  >
>  > Mmm, i think you can be more flexible here, you can choose not to
>  > preserve the image ratio, or fill the outside areas with background
>  > color, like what happens when you use a smaller resolution on a fixed
>  > size LCD monitor for example. I am not all that sure if this would be
>  > supported on all monitors, but some sort of clipping or something such
>  > should be ok.
>
> How do you want to fill the outside areas with the background color?
> You are using same framebuffer for both viewports. This would
> therefore have to happen in the hardware ie. the graphic chip.

Mmm, i would have to read the hardware docs again, but maybe there is
support for clipping rectangle in the video output unit, which would
clip the unwanted parts, or other such tricks. It would be heavily chip
dependent though, and not all chips support zooming anyway.

That said, When you use an output resolution that is smaller than what
your fixed resolution LCD panel supports, you get a smaller window (let
say 640x480) centered in the screen, and black outside it. I seriously
doubt that the graphic card allocate a framebuffer area of the size of
the LCD panel to do this trick.

>  > > OK. Great, I'm looking forward to have this feature.
>  >
>  > Ok, but it will not be for the near future, as other things are higher
>  > in my todo list.
>  >

> I've been thinking about it: The entire window handling should be done
> by the zooming app. The driver only gets coordinates (thru the
> extension). This gives you more flexibility: You could zoom any
> area of the screen - not just a window.

Yes, this would make sense. It could cause problems in case of high
latency round trips like was discussed here before, since the server
should inform the app of the moved window, and the app should tell the
server to zoom. If the server and the zooming app are far away, it does
unnice things. Not sure though if this is something we need to take
account for in this case anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

[Index of Archives]     [X.Org]     [XFree86]     [XFree86 Discussion]     [XFree86 Newbie]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Questions]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [ARM Linux Kernel]     [Samba]     [Linux RAID]