Re: [forum] Some perspective from the cheap seats...

On Friday 21 March 2003 09:46 am, David Wexelblat wrote:
> Yes, I agree. I should have stated my initial point more clearly. Not that
> people don't want remote access, but when they do, they want to remote the
> entire desktop - VNC, Citrix, Windows Terminal Server, etc. The idea of
> being able to remote individual windows isn't relevent to the vast majority
> of desktop users. So the paradigm really needs to be inverted -
> direct-rendered desktop, with remotability.

What does this mean for running remote client windows alongside local Windows
or MacOS apps?  In other words:

Developers who work on Windows based client apps, but need to run GUI source
control apps/etc from a UNIX server

Astronomers who work from Windows clients, but need to run some UNIX specialty
apps on the server with the data.

Financial traders who run Windows for most tasks, but use UNIX-based trading
and risk analysis GUIs from a remote server for various reasons.

These 3 examples are real-world and exist today, next year and probably for
some time to come.  There are doubtless many more similar situations.

I don't think the answer for these folks is "just don't upgrade".  And paging
X/non-X or X-in-a-window solutions aren't going to be popular either.

-Oly

[Index of Archives]     [X.Org]     [XFree86]     [XFree86 Discussion]     [XFree86 Newbie]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Questions]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [ARM Linux Kernel]     [Samba]     [Linux RAID]