Re: [forum] XFree86 5.0 TODO

georgina writes:

>>one more thing, I know X primarily deals with video, but some
>>integrations with MAS might be nice for network transparent sound.
>>Plus, if Xfree86 were to integrate it it might be more easily picked up
>>by distros and other UNIXs so we would have a common audio interface.

>>Alex

>What's MAS?  And where can I learn more about it?

>Georgina

MAS, a Media Application Server, was developed to support X11's need for
full audio and media support, which "follows the display variable"; a
network transparent and platform independent solution.

MAS has been developed by SAI with the endorsement and approval of X.Org,
and with partial financial support by X.Org and Sun. It is released under
the MIT ("X") license. It is in the works as an X Standard.

MAS has many features which, while fully supporting X11, provide a new
paradigm for peer to peer network communication. MAS provides
time-management and synchronization for network data transport, independent
of data type. MAS has immediate application not only as a sound server, but
for streaming and interactive pluri-modal media and for Accessibility
support. MAS has already been ported to several platforms.

The project site URL: http://www.MediaApplicationServer.net.

Shiman Associates Inc (SAI) is the developer and project maintainer.

Leon

Shiman Associates Inc (SAI)
163 Tappan Street
Brookline MA 02445 USA

tel: (00)1.617.277.0087

[Index of Archives]     [X.Org]     [XFree86]     [XFree86 Discussion]     [XFree86 Newbie]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Questions]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [ARM Linux Kernel]     [Samba]     [Linux RAID]