Re: [forum] Future of X ?

-------Original Message-------

Date: Thursday, March 20, 2003 11:35:04 AM
Subject: Re: [forum] Future of X ?

Apologies in advance,
I'm relatively new to the Linux world and the last time I used X heavily
was a long time ago on DecStations. Thus I'm not going to give you
a long technical post today, although becoming more involved in the guts
of the system may be an option in the future.

For now, I thought I'd put out a few things to think about,
from the useland point of view:

1) Many Linux distros (and even more users) are running a less than current
version of Xfree. If more developers are being looked at, tasking some of them
to look after whatever version is the commonly installed version (when it is
not the latest and greatest) could be a boon, both for users and the
perception of Xfree itself.

2) Not to be offensive about it, but the closed (and rather aloof) nature
of the Xfree dev process is a direct result of the lack of competition.
Linux kernel is wide open and faster moving because if it wasn't, *BSD
might well leave it looking foolish. Philosophically, some might wish a
plague of competition on your house to force you to be more open, but I
am here commenting in the hope that this can happen in a less Darwinian
manner.

3) A short list of things Xfree needs. Keep in mind tha I run Debian stable
mostly, so you might have fixed some of these already, don't attack me for
that, muse instead on point 1.

What happened to Branden Robinson?  I thought he ran Debian stable branch?

Georgina

[Index of Archives]     [X.Org]     [XFree86]     [XFree86 Discussion]     [XFree86 Newbie]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Questions]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [ARM Linux Kernel]     [Samba]     [Linux RAID]