[forum] XFree86 5.0 TODO

Some other suggestions:

- integrating Gatos code

- perhaps provideing better multimedia interfaces, maybe some thing
that integrates Xv, XvMC, etc. Providing YUV surfaces using both the
overlay engine and OpenGL textures.

- as Sven mentioned better Dualhead support; Support for Dualhead DRI
for both multi-card and single card multi-head scenarios.  being able
to dymanically switch the video overlay hardware to the head a video is
being played on instead of binding it to a single head for hardware
that supports it.

- a more dynamic X server.  The ability to change configs, change
dualhead layouts, tv out, etc. on the fly.  User definable hot buttons
to change configs, outputs etc.

- improved power mangement support (maybe start with Michel/Charl's
radeon suspend patch)

- integrating DMX

- Release more often!  smaller releases, or releasing updates to just
certain modules, etc.

Alex

Well,

As this forum is for discussing all X stuff, here goes with a few notes
from an XFree86 Core Team meeting from a little while back. So in the
spirit of openness I thought I should discuss it here.

This is stuff that we can think of that needs doing for XFree86 5.0,
but
by no means is it limited to this list or even guarantee'ing anything
on the list will make it for 5.0.

So, to spark discussions, here it is....

1. Redesign of XAA, so that multiple depth pixmaps can be stored in
offscreen
memory and the creation of a new directive - called the XAASurface.
There
will undoubtably be driver work involved to port to the new interface.
The
techinical lead on this is Mark Vojkovich. I believe Mark has a
substantial
portion of this done, if not all.

2. FBManager extensions. This still needs furthur thought to encompass
the requirements of all bases, but, the DRI is one that needs much more
flexible memory management of the framebuffer. Secondly, it's been
requested before for linear allocation, rather than the current area
allocation code for some Xv implementations.

3. Xlib locale removal. By removing all the Xlc code from libX11 and
see
if we can layer it on top of iconv. Need to discuss the advantages and
disadvantages of such a task.

4. DGA - do we leave in, or do we shelve it ?

5. RandR. We now have rotation support, but not depth switching yet.
This
still needs to be done.

6. PseudoColor emulation. Egbert Eich has written some preliminary code
for this, and we're hoping he'll be able to release it soon.

7. Hot Plugging of devices. Displays, Keyboards, Mice. This is
obviously
tricky when running multiple Xservers on the same machine. How do you
correlate which device is plugged in, to which Xserver etc.

8. Multiseat capability. Allowing multiple Xservers to run with
independent
graphics cards, keyboards and mice on the same machine.

9. Xc/Xr - A postscript rendering library for the RENDER extension
replacing
Xlib drawing routines.

10. Window translucency.

11. XFixes extension.

12. Gamma corrected RENDER

13. Potential DIX/DDX changes.

Any other topics, please bring up for discussion.