Keysym String to Character

	Hello.
	I am trying to use Xlib to display keyboard characters, and I am having
trouble with non-letter characters such as "$" and ":". The function
XKeysymToString returns the descriptive strings for these characters
("dollar" and "colon".)
	I have found the XLookupString function, but I am trying to do this
outside of somebody actually pressing on the keyboard, and have not
found anything in the Xpert archives.
	I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way or function to get one of
such characters from this string representation of the character. I
could generate a fake keypressed event to send to XLookupString, but
that seems very roundabout when I already have the correct keysym.
	XConvertCase returns some alphabetic character rather than the symbol
defined by the keysym.
	Thanks for any help!

                                James Fraumeni