Re: Removing X Mouse Pointer/Cursor

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Matt D. Robinson wrote:

> Hi, all.  I haven't seen an option or mechanism to remove the "X" mouse
> pointer/cursor from the screen in situations where I don't want to run
> X with a mouse (I don't want the mouse pointer to appear ever).  I know
> you can set -allowMouseOpenFail, but that still leaves the cursor in the
> middle of the screen.
>
> Is there a mechanism for disabling this via XF86Config?  I haven't
> tried the "hw_cursor" method (yet, I'll try it later tonight), but
> I didn't think this was directly related (this is a cheap Cyberblade
> i7 graphics system).
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide,

I guess you are using a touch-screen ?

The assumption of exactly one pointer is pretty deep in X,
so the idea of disabling the cursor really appropriate.

What you should do is change to a cursor font which displays a blank
cursor. You could do this in your app, or write a simple app that
has a blank cursor and a window that covers the whole background of
the screen.

Although we now have the traditional cursors and the new red ones,
I don't know how you can set the default cursor family from XF86Config;
it is something I'd like to see before 4.3 is released
(it might be there, but I haven't found the documentation yet).

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison		Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx	http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna