High X server CPU usage when drawing

Hello,

I'm developing an application using the motif toolkit to display line
traces in the manner of a multichannel osciloscope. This is a linux
platform.

The window draws a number of horizontal traces obtained from a data
source. When we started using the xinerama extension or very large
resolutions (> 1280x1024). We started observing an undesirable behavior:

The application, when is resized, re-creates the pixmaps where the data
is drawn. The old ones are freed and new ones are created according to
the new size of the window. Then, the program continues operating by
receiving new data periodically and drawing them.

The problem is that _sometimes_, after resizing to a new window size
(usually larger than the old one and relatively large compared to the
screen size) the application slows down and does not draw new data as
fast and the X server hits more than 97% of CPU usage. The problem is
serious because if the user clicks on the application to get the menu,
the pointer gets grabbed but nothing happens for several minutes and the
machine is effectively locked.

[XFree86]     [XFree86 Newbie]     [X.Org]     [Site Home]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Share Pictures]     [Rubini]
[Photo]     [Yosemite]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [XFree86 Forum]     [Linux Resources]