Re: Re: ATI Radeon 7500 fails in XFree 4.2

On Saturday 19 October 2002 03:31, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Apostolod Dimitromanolakis wrote:
> >Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:39:11 -0400
>
> From: Apostolod Dimitromanolakis <apostol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >To: xpert@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: ATI Radeon 7500 fails in XFree 4.2
> >

> >Hi to everybody,
> >
> >I have some trouble trying to make my new ATI RADEON 7500 (OEM, made
> > by ATI) work with XFree 4.2.0/1. When X Server start no problems
> > are reported but the screen goes to standby mode. Of course there
> > is nothing on the screen and moreover when I switch desktops the
> > screen does not turn on. However the sustem keeps working ok and
> > does not halt.
> >
> >I have tried disabling acceleration ("noaccel") and the card works
> > ok. Also the VESA driver works fine. The video card works fine in
> > Win32.
> >
> >I'm sending you my config file and the X Server log.
>
> Your video card was not made by ATI.  ATI made video hardware has
> a vendor ID and subvendor ID of 0x1002, yours has a subvendor ID
> of 0x174b, which is a "Powered by ATI" board made by "PC Partner
> Limited".
>
> From your log file:
> (II) PCI: 01:00:0: chip 1002,5157 card 174b,7161 rev 00 class
> 03,00,00 hdr 00 ^^^^           ^^^^
>                     ATI made chip      ATI didn't make card

I have exactly the same symptoms with a PowerColor ATI Radeon 7500.
A major part of the problem is that ATI made boards are to my knowledge
not sold in Europe, only OEM boards are available.   I also thought I
was buying and ATI board, as ATI was all over the box in 10x bigger
letters than PowerColor, only later I learned the truth.   Honestly, I
would have bought Nvidia had I known this...

I'm running Mandrake 9.0, and deciding not to give up just jet,  I built
a new XFree86 rpm for it Mandrake from the XFree86 CVS sources.  So far
it only works if I boot in failsafe mode, in standard linux boot X
locks down hard.   Any idea why is that?

-Harri

I'm using